Twinkle Khanna’s 10 Point Vogue Acceptance Speech Is the Best Thing You Will See Today
Twinkle Khanna is the quintessential star when it comes to having strong opinions. Mrs Funnybones is known to not mince words while keeping forward her thoughts. Be it on feminism, sexism, patriarchy, or misogyny, Twinkle Khanna does not hold back. So when she gave her acceptance speech at Vogue's 10th anniversary, she gave the best one, hands down.
Twinkle Khanna was awarded the Opinion Maker of the Year award at the 10th anniversary celebration of Vogue. Her speech highlighted the 10 important lessons that she has learned from the last decade, and it was funny and hard-hitting as all Khanna's speeches are. Here are the highlighting points that she made in her speech.
1. It’s true that we get more comfortable in our skin as we get older, but that’s because the poor thing is not as tight as it once used to be.
2. We don’t need GST on our sanitary pads, what we need instead is an alarm inside it. Not a vibrating one that’ll set us off on a different path altogether. But an alarm nonetheless that warns us of imminent overflow and saves us the 100 trips we make to the bathroom just to check. Now that’s a product I would want GST on.
3. Millions of Indian women fast for their husbands’ long lives every Karva Chauth. My dear friend who just won an award is immortalised in his movies, but I don’t think our 3,033 Gods are really listening. Because on the mortality charts there are 147 countries above us where their men outlive our good old Indian dudes. So, ladies stop because it’s clearly not working.
4. This I had to learn the hard way: It’s difficult to befriend the present if you’re still quarrelling with your past.
5. God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers and the Devil could not be everywhere so he created mothers-in-law. Having said that, I feel I’m going to be a terrible one.
6. The only thing free in life is bad advice. Enough said.
7. Botox, unfortunately, does not make you look younger, it just makes you look like you’re part of a secret alien invasion, desperately, desperately trying to fit in with the youth.
8. Our satellite only reached Mars because it was called Mom. I’m certain that if it was called Dad, it would still be circling the Earth, lost, but not willing to ask for directions.
9. Nine, and the reason I’m standing here: Life is but a beautiful chance in the game of choice.
10. The most important thing I have learned is this -- for centuries, women have been looking for a cape and they’ve been handed an apron. And it’s only recently that we’ve learned how to swing our aprons around, let it fly on our backs and take to the skies. Awards like these validate our work and help us soar higher so I’m truly grateful to be going home with this one.
Watch the full speech here:
The American publication kick-started its first edition of Vogue Women of the Year Awards and Twinkle was felicitated in the same. The event was attended by all top notch celebrities of the industry, from Shah Rukh Khan to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to Sonam Kapoor.