10 Real-Life Horror Stories Where Things Got So out of Hand, People Had to Call the Police

Have you ever had someone tell you a story where they saw a ghost, only to immediately dismiss it and say that you don't believe it? Well, what if the police were involved? What if the person got so scared that they had to call the cops? Reddit user Jamalson54 recently asked, "Dear police officers of Reddit, have you ever responded to a call for paranormal reasons?" Here are some bone-chilling answers. 

"My uncle was the sheriff of a small town in New Mexico. He was a the most hardcore person in our family, super straight laced, never really BS'ed and wasn't at all a joker.

So when he told this story (backed up by my aunt) we all believed it without question.

A local reporter named Bob D. would always show up at any major police activity from the police scanner. Big car wrecks, fires, anything worth maybe reporting in the local paper. Everybody on the force knew Bob D., he was around at least once or twice a week at various police activities. Bob was a bit of a joker himself, he would mess with people by flicking behind their ears. People would react to the flicks thinking it was a bug only to turn around and see it was Bob jerking around. Everybody liked Bob. Unfortunately, Bob had bad lung cancer and died pretty suddenly. His wife buried him (against his wishes, he wanted to be cremated.)

For the next couple of weeks, after his funeral, people kept talking about "seeing Bob" at car wrecks, fires, all the same stuff he used to report on. There were 20-30 reports like this from civilians and members of the force. My uncle didn't buy it.

Until the night he and my aunt showed up at our house, gun drawn, pale as paper. We asked him what the hell happened, and he had to sit down, take his breath, compose himself and start to outline what happened. Note: This is a guy that I never saw get rattled, by anything.

He said. (My aunt) and he were sitting on the couch in their house watching tv. My uncle kept scratching at his ear, over and over. Finally my aunt asked him what the problem was and he turned around just in time to see their bedroom door open. Bob D. standing there in the doorway. Clear as day. My uncle jumped up, cussed or something, got my aunt's attention who turned to see him there too. As soon as they both made eye contact with him, Bob smiled, turned, walked across the living room and out their front door. Closed the door behind himself and was gone.

My uncle got control of himself and ran outside. Gun drawn looking for Bob, but he was gone. At that point they ran over to our place. We went over there and didn't see anything but my aunt and uncle stayed at our place that night.

At work the next day, all the guys on the force were giving my uncle lots of "we told you so." People around town said they saw Bob D. show up at police scenes for at least another 2/3 months. My dad saw him in our darkroom in our basement with a friend. He was flicking their ears in the dark.

During the 3rd month people that saw him kept saying he was looking worse and worse. My uncle saw him two more times, each time confirming he was looking more and more worn. My Dad had concluded that he was decomposing and his ghost was reflecting that process.

Every time my ear itches, I get goosebumps." (Sic)


"Worked as a police officer in a small town in rural Nebraska. Back in the 90's, I was patrolling through town in winter. We had several abandoned houses in town, but one seemed to have the attraction of copper thieves, so we were told to keep an eye on it. Drove by it around 7:00p, since it sat on a corner lot, I had a clear view of all four sides of the house. As I drove around the corner. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. About two hours later I drive by again and the back door is wide open. I know that the back door was not open when I drove by it earlier. Looking at the snow on the ground around the house, there were no footprints. So I think "What the hell?". Call dispatch, tell them I'm investigating an open door at that address and ask for a county sheriff to start my way. I walk to the open door, pull out my flashlight and shine it inside. The house has obviously been gutted for the most part. The plaster walls have been torn down, debris piles everywhere. Since there were no footprints in the snow around the door other than mine, and with all the dust on the floor not showing any footprints, I chalk it up to the wind or maybe the door just opened on its own. I was about to secure the door when I heard a loud thump come from upstairs and what sounded like kids laughing. So I enter the house and yell out "Police department, come downstairs!" More of what sounds like kids playing. I tell dispatch that it sounds like there are kids in the house and start making my way through the kitchen into the living room where the stairs are. All the while cautiously checking the main floor. Two more times I hear something upstairs, but since I've had no response, I start thinking maybe it's an animal. Still, I hear what I'd swear was kids laughing. I head upstairs and it all gets quiet. The upstairs is relatively small with a hallway at the top of the stairs that has one bedroom on the right, one straight ahead at the end of the hall, and a bedroom on the left. As I get to the top of the stairs, I hear a thump in the bedroom to the left. I carefully peek around the door and it's an empty room with a small pile of plaster and wood debris in the middle. No kidding, sitting on top of the pile of debris was a page torn out of a child's book with a picture of a police officer on it. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, I got out of that room, quickly cleared the other rooms upstairs and got the fuck out of there. Told dispatch nobody was in the house, locked the back door and never went back in there again." (Sic)


"My uncle works for dispatch in my town and he recently told my family of the weirdest call he's ever gotten. He says that he had received a call from a landline one night and when he answered it there was only static on the other end. This happened two more times. Finally he calls a squad to go check out the address from the caller ID. When the cops got there and walked into the house they immediately saw that there was a dead body. The person had been dead for 5 months. The craziest part about it was that there was no electricity or any other utility working. So there is no way they should have been able to get those calls into dispatch. But if they hadn't, who knows how long that persons body would have stayed there." (Sic)


"My dad is a police officer and he was called to an old castle-like house on the outskirts of town. The man who called was telling him about his daughter who was acting strange. She was talking in a deep voice and speaking in swear words and high level vocabulary (she was only 10 or so) and being all around creepy. My dad said,"I think you need an exorcist." And left that house immediately. He's been a police officer for 12 years and he says that was the most scared he's been and he's seen people who have blown their brains out with a shotgun and people decapitated by a train." (Sic)


"I'm not a cop, but my story is somewhat relevant: I recently started working as a security guard and one of my first assignments was the graveyard shift at a new housing development outside of town. Over the course of the three nights I worked there, I had some pretty bizarre things happen. While doing my patrols through the neighborhood, I would often see people watching me from the upper windows of the vacant houses, but when I would enter the house to investigate, they would be empty. One of the first things on my to-do list when I arrived on-site was to go through the eight model homes next to the real estate office and turn off all the lights and TVs. The first night, this part went smoothly, but the following night, as I was making my way through the kitchen of the fourth house, I heard the light switch click and all the lights in the kitchen went out. It wasn't a power surge or a blown breaker, as all the appliances were still on and all the little green lights underneath the light switches were still lit. A few minutes later, I heard another click and the lights came back on, followed by the lights in the next house going out, but the TV remaining on. By the time I made my way to the next house, the lights were back on, but the TV was in standby (only possible by hitting the button on the front). As I was finishing up in the last house, I looked out the window and saw that the second and third houses were lit up again. The third night, the light situation got weirder. The lights would either turn off or on in a room as I entered and in one house, as I entered the kitchen, the hood light over the stove turned on. As I turned to look at it, I heard a series of clicks coming from the second floor, as if someone were running through the house turning on the lights. When I went up there, sure enough, many of the lights I had turned off were back on. In another house, a desk lamp turned itself back on three times. Another lamp in the same house that had a dimmer slowly started lighting up right in front of me. Now, for the worst events: As I was walking past one of the construction sites, I saw what appeared to be a skunk walk behind the port-a-potty. When it walked back out, however, it looked more like a black shi-tzu. It proceeded to change size, shape, and color several more times right in front of me (doberman, bloodhound, tan mastiff, then finally a yellow lab) before running off into the dark. I'm willing to concede all of these can either be chalked up to my mind/eyes playing tricks or a timer gone haywire (I was assured there wasn't one), but this last one defies logical explanation. As I was walking back to the office around 2:30, I glanced up at one of the houses. As I did, something hit me in between my left pec and shoulder. Hard. Hard enough to stagger me. I weigh 250 lbs., so I'm not exactly little. It felt as if someone were walking the opposite direction on the sidewalk and shoved their way past me. I have since asked my supervisors not to assign me to that site again." (Sic)


"Whilst working in remote Australia, we were forced to 'move on' an elderly aboriginal man because the other locals had accused him off witchcraft, and other things. We drove him to his township approximately one and half hours drive away. The other locals were terrified of him as he was rumored to be a witch doctor. We dropped him off and warned him not to return to town for three days. We turned the vehicle round and drove back to town, flying, probably 100mph+. It took 45minutes to drive back, upon our return, we find the SAME elderly aboriginal sitting in the street. To this day neither of us can explain it, maybe the other locals had every right to be scared." (Sic) 


"I was doing security at a hospital with a ER, ICU, Surgical, the whole works and I got called to several paranormal calls. Most, were psych cases or paranoid people that heard a strange noise...

This time more than one nurse saw a guy on the camera who was on his death's bed, a guy who kept saying "I will not die in a hospital" earlier that day, literally push his curtain aside and walk out of his room toward the elevator. A code was called and everyone immediately posted at their designated locations. Within seconds there were people watching the elevators and stairs and security started combing the area and investigating. As I reached the ICU floor I spoke with the Lead Nurse and she told me several of the nurses saw him leave. At that moment monitors started going off, the guy never left, The guy went code blue and died right then. There were 3 witnesses on the report that say he got up and left and were serious enough to call a code which could cost them their jobs if they were wrong.

The bosses wouldn't let us watch the video but the looks on their faces said it all. The bosses said the nurses did the right thing and some things just can't be explained.

The portion of the video I was allowed to see did show that nobody had left via elevator or stairs." (Sic)


"Called to a residence out in the boonies(this was in Wyoming, so the boonies are really the boonies) at about 11PM about suspicious activity. When we get there, we are told by the family living there that there are VERY strange screams coming from a creek area about 1000 feet out. And sure enough, waiting outside on the porch with them for about a minute, I hear it. It is very hard to describe what it sounded like. It was like a woman in very severe distress, but higher pitched, and each scream lasted for about 10-15 seconds, it never sounded like it was saying anything, it just sounded like a cry of sheer terror. And it repeated again.

We tell the family we are going to investigate, so we just walk down to the creek since it was nice out. We hear about two more screams, getting louder as we approach the creek. By now, we're both kind of freaked out, there are two possibilities: someone is getting murdered/maimed in the creek bed, or it's a wild animal.

As we approach the creek bed, we hear no screams for about 5 minutes. We search around and find nothing, yelling at the top of our lungs for somebody to come towards if they are there.

Then, we hear the exact same scream behind us, exactly from where we came from. We get about halfway back to the house, and the scream comes so loudly it seems to be right next to us. We frantically shine our flashlights EVERYWHERE and find nothing, no eye glints of animals, no rustling of bushes, just silence. We trace our steps back, and the scream comes from around the creek again. This time, it lasted about 30 seconds and was much louder than before. Our retreat becomes a little more hastened.

By this time we were both scared shitless and verified with the family to call us again if they heard it. They never called again, and we got the hell out of there.

I still don't know what it was, as an avid outdoorsman, I KNOW no animal makes a cry like that, especially one that can move stealthily without being spotted by flashlights.

Something else that weirded me out was that it was completely silent while the screams were happening. During summer in Wyoming, there is always some type of ambient animal sounds, frogs croaking, crickets chirping, owls hooting, coyotes howling, etc, but there was nothing. Until we were leaving and the screams had stopped. Then a frog started croaking.

It gives me the creeps just thinking about it still." (Sic) 


"Back when I was working as a cop on a military base, I loved working night shift. Didn't deal with 99% of the bullshit that day shift dealt with and what little stuff we did deal with was usually really interesting.

Well most every building on a base is alarmed and the alarms are tied right into the desk so we know the instant they go off. When we get an alarm activation, we close the base, and go check the building, pull on all the doors, see if we can get in. If we can, we go into the building and secure it, check all the doors and corners to see if someone set the alarm off.

Well one night I was on patrol with my alpha (partner) and we get called to respond to an alarm activation at the elementary school. So we go, secure the building, and call in that the building is all secure. No problem, keep patrolling.

So about 15-20 minutes go by and we get another alarm activation. We get back out there and check and now there is a maintenance door open that leads into a boiler roomish thing. Nothing in it, we close it, lock it and get out.

Another 20 minutes. and another alarm. We respond, all the doors are still locked and we can't get in, maintence door is locked. Call in the all clear

This time my buddy and I sit on opposite sides of the school and watch to see if someone is coming and yanking the doors real hard to set the alarm off.

We sit there an watch, nothing happens and right as we're about to leave, another alarm activation as we're sitting there. We inform the desk that we'd like the building manager on site to help us secure the interior and to let us in. (This is like now 3 am.)

Building custodian shows up and we start doing a walk through, checking all the class rooms and checking all the maintenance rooms and that's when we see one of the maintenance doors open with the lights on in the room. Now this room is literally the size of a closet.

We walk down there and look in, no ones in it and that door is locked when it closes. We look in there and we find a single footprint of a bare foot made of water (Left foot as a recall) of a small child. Freaked the living hell out of us because no one reported a missing child and the entire building was clear and still locked up. No one left, no one entered and we checked every inch of that damn place (literally a 3 hour deep sweep including ceiling tiles.)

Freaked the ever loving shit out of us and to this day, my partner refuses to go into that school. Speaking of which, schools are really fucking spooky when they're empty." (Sic) 


"3 years ago our very elderly next door neighbor died suddenly in her house. They found her body 5 days later in the kitchen.

Fast forward to last summer.

I'm sitting in my house watching a movie and all of the sudden about 8 police cars come out of no where sirens blaring lights on and most park in that empty house. Some park in my driveway so I went outside to see what was up.

A police officer went through the quick formalities and asked if I had seen anything strange in the past 5 minutes. I replied no and rather hesitantly asked what was going on. He said that the police department received a call from the house and when the operator picked up the line went dead.

I stayed at a friends that night." (Sic)

Good luck getting any sleep tonight.

Design by Gauri Saxena 





---Loading More Stories---